Thursday, December 4, 2008

Self-Teachings Notes (CLR Print)




  • Pre-cut more paper than needed. You will most likely end up using the extras.


  • Make sure when you do "time management" for your projects, you schedule extra time for days when you will be too tired to work; count in time for mistakes that will have you starting the project all over again.


  • Mistakes are good. Don't stress out. Mistakes make you a better artist. Try again. Take note on how your project has changed and evolved from your prior mistake.


  • Pandora Music is good for background while working.


  • Your final product will most likely not be how you first envisioned. The spirit of it is still there. It's a better version of how you thought it would look like.


  • Make sure you have the appropriate tools. When working with such a small size, I realized I could not be as detailed as I would have liked, with the etching style that is trademark of me. I needed smaller nibs, bigger canvas space.


  • When working such a small size, make lines as simple as possible. Have extra nibs on hand. I broke one in the middle of the night the morning before the project should have been finished.


  • Carving into lino blocks for hours is tiring.


  • Take a printmaking class: Learn different methods, instead of the DIY style you know.


  • Frames and matting are a saving grace for the aesthetics of the prints.


  • My bench hook and bone folder rules.


  • Allow yourself to leave your working space and go outside, be with friends, have a drink, take a breath of fresh air. Take a walk.


  • Step back, take another look. Proceed.