Saturday, January 3, 2009

Similiar Techniques

Last week I finished reading "The Artist Within: Portraits of Cartoonists, Comic Book Artists, Animators, & Others" by Greg Preston the same time I was looking over my sketchbooks, notes, journals, etc. from the last four years in preparation for my next comic. I was excited to find out that graphic novelist, Craig Thompson, whose artwork I admired from his well known illustrated novel, "Blankets" works in the same technique/order as I do. (I'm sure many graphic novelist work in the same way, but like everyone else I really loved "Blankets" when it was released!)



It reads: "Thompson's technique is as unique as his medium. He begins by jumbling words and pictures together in a shorthand which is nearly illegible. He then goes over the work again, drawing everything in a crisp, clean style to iron everything out. Thompson insists on doing a first draft in ball-point pen before the more time-consuming brush and ink method."

Before I read this page, I had found my own draft from one of the stories I did for my Morning Star, Issue #3. Here is that draft:





This draft turned out to be a 9 page story. Here are 3 pages out of 9 (final print) that was based off of this first draft: