Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Self-Portrait 2010 in Progress.

After having not created a self-portrait since my freshman year as an undergrad in art school (1998), I picked up my drawing materials last summer and began the ritual of having to do a new self-portrait/s every year.

Recently, I was invited to Allison Graw's "Art Party" where every month other kindred souls got together in The Graws basement to do whatever your creative heart desires. Bring your own stuff to work on or use whatever supplies that are on hand at the art party (acrylic paints, papers, thrift store artwork to paint over, pieces of wood, etc.)


I decided that at these art parties I will do this year's self-portrait. I chose a picture with a frame from a thrift store to draw over.

I started sketching out with pen, and then crayons...


I am liking the background colors from the original picture on my drawing...but after an hour and a half, being hungry and now wanting my own art supplies (since I was using Allison's) called it quits for this session.

During next month's session I plan to continue working on this with arcylic paints. I need to paint over that little splotch over the nose... make it bold, create texture...

I'm looking forward to seeing how this will turn out.

Some of the work created at the art party, lined up:

On a side note, a girl named Sadie who is currently on a huge mimosa kick, brought a bottle of champagne to share. I am grateful for the mimosa and to meet this group of wonderful individuals.