Friday, August 5, 2011

Some Thoughts and Notes

I've been feeling very centered lately because I'm in the midst of creating again.

Right now, at the very tail-end edits/post-production stuff on a Halloween book I made 12 illustrations for. A small break, that includes helping with and attending a good friend's first solo art show:



Also heading up north next weekend for my best friend's wedding (We've been best friends since we were 12 years old. This is the wedding where I will cry like a little baby.) Prep for another 3-day round of teaching kids to draw in the middle of August. Update my CV; add that, my latest artist statement, and newer works to my website.

After that, it's back to painting and drawing. All new pieces for a great project that I'm proud to be a part of that will debut the 2nd weekend of October.

I'll be teaching with a few more hours in the Fall and I hope that this will not drain me and distract me from my artwork. If I can keep the flow and pace going, I'm crossing my fingers to ALSO have the final draft of "Geli Girl, Issue #1" ready to submit for the xeric grant. The deadline for this is Sept. 30th.** But I have got to remember to take it easy and rest. I was just hospitalized two weeks ago because of my lupus. That's a lot to deal with, with the goals for the end of September. But I have to remember to focus at one thing at a time, or nothing will get done. Continue my habits of rest, and lots of water, and early sleep. Need to budget with the money I don't have; Frames for the art show, deposit for the art gallery space, art supplies, gas money, Kinko's money to put together my drafts for the grant, etc.

Meanwhile, my thoughts have been thinking a lot about my own studio, the act of being quiet, focusing, zoning in, being attuned, silence, and ATTENTION. Also, putting away Facebook and my cell phone when drawing.

I've been given the opportunity in the last few weeks to work in a space where I wouldn't be bothered, would be relaxing, and could work away from my own personal distractions. It was a success. This had me longing for a real studio space.



Some other things that also helped:


  • A good healthy breakfast; A smoothie, or some kind of grains and fruit.
  • Answering e-mails and taking care of paperwork crap you don't want to do first thing in the morning.
  • Remembering to take my lupus medications and wearing sunscreen because of the sun & lupus.
  • Strong coffee as soon as I get to my work space.
  • Snacks. (Twizzlers and cheese.)
  • Good food and/or leftovers from the night before.
  • Good music.
  • Drinking 3-5 bottles of water each day.
  • Rewarding yourself a glass or two of wine between the hours of 5:30-8:00 p.m.
  • Leaving my work behind at the workspace and going home.
  • Going to bed before midnight.
Some articles that came across my mind while working on my illustrations:



**EDIT: Just found out that there will be one last xeric grant gifted. November review is cancelled. Deadline: February 28, 2012. Which means, I won't be rushing; I will be more focused and planned AND I WILL GET THIS SHIT DONE!

How awesome would it be to get the last and final xeric grant!?!?!?