During my Baltimore trip I also jumped on the opportunity to visit the Baltimore Museum of Art with the two main goals of checking out the "Print by Print: Series from Durer to Lichtenstein" and, of course, the Matisse paintings.
I regret not taking down notes of who the artist is. But was drawn to these, because of the pen-line-work/cross-hatching/ illustration style I have been doing lately in my own pieces:
Close up shots:
Walking around looking for the Cone Collection, I bumped into this famous sculpture. I didn't even know that Rodin's "The Thinker" was in this museum. So it was a very pleasant surprise that made it all worth the trip.
Amazing to go up and take a close shot:
Now in the Cone Collection... Found some of Degas's sculptures of dancers. Was having many flashbacks in this collection. I was introduced to Degas from my favorite art teacher, Mr. Lemenu, in high school when we began to study oil and chalk pastels:
Behind this legendary Degas sculpture are paintings of Claude Monet. The color palette Monet uses remind me so much of my friend Marianne and her own palette and the way she chooses to paint her skies:
Matisse. I remember growing up and getting books on Matisse at the library. Xeroxing pics and taping it up on my bedroom wall:
I swear, being in the Cone Collection reminded me so much of my time being a student at The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. I kept seeing art students of Baltimore taking notes and sketching. I wondered to myself, how long will it be before they will be able to relax and enjoy the museum like I have been now. Wow! Such a difference, seeking and finding inspiration in a museum and enjoying myself now, instead of fretting and stressing out in art school. I kept laughing at myself every time I saw an art student "studying." Poor things. It is strange that I feel that I am learning/getting out more information willingly and with pleasure now that I am at a museum more as an "outsider" than I was when I was trying to remember things for a test or working on an assignment.
This piece, below, I do not know much about, except that it is by an artist named, William Lamb Picknell and that the work is titled "Paysage (A Winter Day In Brittany)". I tried to find a postcard of this piece, but couldn't.
UPDATE 04 January 12: I just found this among all the pics I took from my cell phone. I guess I did "take notes." Here's about the artist and these pieces:
