Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Excerpt from Rick Beerhorst chapter in "An Illustrated Life"



"My sketchbooks serve me as a place to draw anytime, anywhere. They help me stay free and, at the same time, help me get connected to the world around me in a deeper way. I think of the sketchbook more as a place to play--not for sale, not for exhibition, just a private place to be a kid again and stay curious about everything.


My journal helps me remain sensitive to my surroundings. Drawing in my sketchbook quiets me down, slows me down so I am more able to hear the quiet voice of God speaking through ordinary things and situations. It's like tracing through the thumbprints. He left all over the crowded world.

Drawing is sort of a drinking in of the sensory world. It is also grounding because of the quiet concentration. The stillness is like meditation or study. I also play music, which feels more about the pouring out than drinking in. And while playing music is a public performance that needs an audience, drawing is more private and contemplative.

Drawing is a mystical activity that makes places holy when and where it is practiced. It is sort of prayer. People are naturally drawn to it much like a live musical performance. Though, since it is more private by nature, they are unsure how to respond."

--Rick Beerhorst, "An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration from the Private Sketchbooks of Artists, Illustrators and Designers"


I was attracted to these particular paragraphs in the book because I've been thinking a lot lately on my own need for quiet and no interruptions when I draw. When I create it is also a time and place of solitude and contemplation and reflection for me. This entry struck a chord, so I had to post it here.