
Being inspired by both this trip and while reading this book, I've made a pact to myself, to travel somewhere new for my birthday every year. This is the first time I didn't spend my birthday in my home town. Doing this trip was a birthday gift to myself from some of the money I made from my commission in November. It was also a gift to myself for drawing non-stop in the last several months and for being proud that I was back in the swing of creating again. My hopes and goals are to become independent again (of course) and receive stable income; I'd like to eventually (before I die) travel overseas. I want to eat everywhere! Of course! I love being on my own, discovering and exploring alone and going to places at my own pace.
I've been really getting a hang of playing around with watercolor pencils and watercolor paints. One of the things I love about reading through "An Illustrated Life..." is that the artists talk about the materials and tools that they use when they sketch. I love learning about new art supplies that could be used. It always gets me inspired and wanting to experiment more.
One of the artists writes about how he uses peerless watercolor papers; He cuts them into small strips and tapes them into a women's make-up compact (after removing the mirror.) He then has a lil' traveling case of watercolor paint that he can carry around in his pocket. This had me search up peerless papers. This is a video I found from an artist in Australia who is in love with her peerless paper:
This has me excited to buy my own pack when I can afford it. ( They're really not that expensive. But with my teaching job, I only make about $30-$200 per month. That is not much to get by at all; So right now, until my life situation gets better, they are expensive to me.)
I don't really sketch in notebooks like how I used to; I've taken to snapping pics from my camera or cell phone and drawing from the pics as reference. But maybe I should get back into the habit?
I've been inspired to one day, hopefully soon, buy the complete edition and bonus pak of the peerless watercolor paper, a watercolor paper journal (either moleskine or bind my own watercolor books) and some water brushes and see what happens. Maybe eventually create a travel journal?






A week ago, local artist, Steven Gamburd and I threw out the idea of sketching together; somewhere not too busy and draw people and things. We need to definitely make this a reality, since I believe that both his and my artwork really compliment each other. I can definitely foresee both of us influencing each other. I even told him that maybe one day he and I should have a show together. He agreed. I would love to see this happen in the new year.
Perusing on-line at different art supplies. Maybe one day... I will also be able to afford a set of Kolinksy sable [travel] brushes:



Now this is only the coveting part of me. I'd be happy with some water brushes and my lil' peerless water color paper and watercolor paper journal.
Before I was dropped off at the airport. My brother, his fiancee, and I went to an antique shop. On the dollar table I found this small little powder compact of the Bermuda Islands. One dollar!
This lil' vintage purchase, along with an old love letter, completed my desire to create my own little traveling watercolor paint case when after I am able to afford the peerless watercolor paper. This excites me for what more I will create in the future.
